View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for the clarification halifaxboyns. I get annoyed because I and others consider that location to be one of the most ideal sites. There is an abundance of parking surrounding the site and good transit connections. In the case of the Rogers Centre in Toronto, people just park in private and municipal lots in the vicinity of the stadium and then cross streets at the cross walk. The Rogers Centre is right in the middle of the downtown area next to the CN Tower (it is actually shown in the picture that I pasted above).

A stadium could be designed to fit that width of the DND lot and vacant lot as it is. The SuperStore has a small building attached on the side - if that could be obtained also then that would be a bonus (there also appears to be an electric transmission tower in the area). Buildings like the Rogers Centre and Air Canada Centre in Toronto, and Percival Molson Stadium in Montreal were designed to fit the available space. The same can be done in Halifax.

The attached building you are refering too is an NSLC store if I'm not mistaken. Considering there are two strip malls in walking distance it might be possible to expropriate that portion of the building; but I would think you'd have to take that whole chunk of the lot? I'm not sure...

My feeling would be provide the lowest amount of parking as possible and then do what they are doing with the Airshow - have Metro Transit team up with the operators of the site to provide additional transportation options and frequency for the stadium. I'd also encourage that there be a bus pick up/drop off area off the street in the design, so that buses have their own location and are not having to clog up Young or Windsor to stop and pick up people. As we have all experienced; people aren't exactly the quickest when they are leaving a game and so any efforts to keep the roads moving would be helpful.

But from a costing perspective; I figured it might reduce the cost (although probably not that much) to just co-share existing parking with the forum. That way; it's already there and potentially you wouldn't really need too much more (if you really encourage people to use transit).