View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:54 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but a lot of Haligonians seem to think that football is not important in Moncton. I am here to inform you that it is.....

The NB high school provincial football final was held on the weekend at Rocky Stone Field in Moncton. Two Moncton high schools (Moncton High and Harrison Trimble High) were in the final. The contest attracted a boisterous crowd of over 5,000 spectators!!! If we can get 5,000 out to a high school game, I think we can get 20,000 out for the CFL.

Football is important in Moncton and our intentions towards the CFL are serious. You guys had better get started on your new stadium pronto.

I am not trying to be inflammatory here, in fact I would love to see Halifax get a brand new stadium too. You deserve it.

One final note - on the CTV news this evening, there was an item about the Uteck Bowl and the comment was made on the newscast that because of the poor condition of Saint Mary's Stadium, there was a 7 out of 10 chance that the championship could be moved out of Halifax next year, perhaps (horrors) even to Moncton!!

That is the sort of bomb that you guys should be using to inflame civic passion in favour of a new stadium. I think the time is ripe for a strong citizen's effort in Halifax in favour of a new stadium. It's time to put the pressure on Peter Kelly and regional council.
Why isn't there more of this attitude in Halifax? I hope that Moncton (i.e. New Brunswick) gets a CFL team. I actually believe that it would do well. One thing that should be pointed out with cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal is that the CFL is not the only pro sport in town. They have to compete with the NHL and in Toronto they have to compete with the NHL, MLB and NBA. In New Brunswick, it would be a much bigger event than in these other cities.