View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Seems like this would be the perfect time to address West Burnside and turn it into a one way couplet with Couch extending from the East Side over to the West side of the river. Especially if the bridge is replaced, the alignment could be shifted to allow the existing bridge to be used during construction. Shift it somewhat north and transition Couch/Burnside on each side onto the bridge and make them a couplet on both sides.

Or go crazy and build a bridge a city block wide with roads at the boundaries and a new bridge park that connects the West and Eastside waterfront parks with a greenspace bridge across the river. Just have to get rid of that pesky road on the eastside that is in the way.
That's an interesting idea, but extending Couch has problems on both sides. One of the West side the Skidmore / Old Town Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It's hard to imagine a design that would have an acceptable level of impact. On the east the development at the Bridgehead effectively now precludes extending Couch. The main resident entrance into Block 67 is planned to be onto the Couch Pedestrian Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
How is it possible to have no mention of the Marquam bridge in that report? Did I miss it? I did a search but didn't find it in there. Is the plan to have it collapse so we can then start from scratch and get something less god awful?
ODOT owns and maintains the Marquam Bridge. It's not Multnomah County's responsibility.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM.