View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Experienced that many years ago. Went from a sunny, private backyard to having a shaded yard with a wall of windows looking down on you. Aside from the loss of sun for your garden, it changes your enjoyment of your property forever due to the lack of privacy.

This type of thought is usually referred to as NIMBY in forums like this, but when you're on the receiving end it's not too pleasant. There are two sides to every story and for every win there is somebody on the losing end... and that is the end without the money or the power.
Yeah - I struggle with this... I think Agricola would benefit from this building, BUT, I think it's awfully close to the backyard neighbours. I think if they were to build as-of-right, they'd have much lower density and less impact on the neighbours, but I think really, this area would do best with something less than what's currently proposed and more than what's currently allowed.

I'm sure the developer would like to maximize profit, but the city owes SOME protection to the (rather nice, in my opinion) neighbourhood immediately adjacent. It's tough if all of a sudden someone gets permission to build something that is significantly more impactful than the current rules allow.