View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think the roads in that area are underbuilt. If anything, they are probably needlessly wide. The problem is that the completion of the road network and interchange has lagged behind the construction of houses and apartments.
Some of the streets like Transom are way to wide but I imagine its for future growth?

As for the road network right now its horrible. Both neighbourhoods only have one way out and many streets just end without warning. The good news is I explored earlier and Larry Uteck and Southgate are both actively being lengthened. The Southgate extension already has a hard surface down (gravel I believe).

Quote:
The transit argument is perfectly valid in general, except the [rapid] transit actually has to exist. Nobody who can afford a $400,000 home is going to rely on a bus that shows up 6 times a day and gets stuck in the same traffic they'd have to deal with in a private vehicle. They will either just sit in their car or not move to the congested area in the first place.

At a minimum it takes BRT-like service for transit to be something other than a mode of transportation of last resort, and it takes rail to really have an effect on development patterns. Unfortunately, HRM staff and politicians see rail transit only as an expensive way of dealing with current congestion problems.
For transit right now the Ravines doesn't have any available and Royale Hemlocks only has the 81 which is weekday and it only climbs up half of the hill.

I'm hoping that HRM will consider placing a BRT station near the new interchange. It would help move the Ravines, Royale Hemlock, Paper Mill and Bedford West when built. Besides the 102 is not very congested and if they go ahead with plans for a bus lane on Bayers Road it'll work even better.