View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL
From the aerial pictures it would appear that the immediate area around La Defense isn't quite as prosperous as the area around Canary Wharf with the swaves of yuppie flats that are going up.

Actually, as Metropolitan already said, La Défense is located in a very wealthy area. Notably, it is located right across the Seine River from Neuilly-sur-Seine, which is one of the richest communities in Europe.

In any case, statistics are better than subjective points of view. Here are statistics I found. La Défense is surrounded by 3 communes (municipalities): Neuilly-sur-Seine, Courbevoie, and Puteaux. In absolute terms, the average monthly income for a resident household in Neuilly-sur-Seine is 6,250 euros (£4,230). Monthly I said. In Courbevoie, the average monthly income for a resident household is 2,537 euros (£1,717). In Puteaux it is 2,143 euros (£1,450). I don't think that you can seriously claim than an area where households earn on average between 2,143 and 6,250 euros per month is a destitute area.

Now in relative terms, in 2004 the median fiscal income for a resident household was:
- in Neuilly-sur-Seine: 2.3 times (i.e. 130%) above French average, and 91% above Île-de-France (Greater Paris) average
- in Courbevoie: 52% above French average, and 27% above Greater Paris average
- in Puteaux: 28% above French average, and 7% above Greater Paris average
Again, hardly a destitute area.

Note that all these statistics concern resident households, i.e. people who live in these three communes (municipalities) surrounding La Défense. They do not concern the companies located in the area.