View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In case anybody is curious, I put together an interactive map of all community areas in Chicago and their population change 2014 versus 2010. The 2015 data by census tract will be coming out on Dec 8th so you better believe I'll be crunching the data around then to see what's changed.

https://chicagodata.carto.com/viz/29...68f/public_map

We all know about downtown and some other north side areas gaining population, but I think what is interesting here is that all community areas from south loop down to Hyde Park between the lake
and I-90 gained population except Washington Park. Washington Park lost only 70 people which isn't as bad as some other areas on the south side. Also interesting to note is that Greater Grand Crossing and Chatham were estimated to have gained people. It shows that Bridgeport lost 38 people - my guess is that the data that comes out in 3 weeks will have it in the positive. My guess is also that areas like Englewood will see continued losses and places like Logan Square will see larger gains. I'm hoping a few of the light red spots here will turn into at least light blue in a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, there is a caveat. I had contacted the US Census many months ago because one census tract in the Loop was only estimated to have grown by 5 people even though there were new apartment complexes built there. If you compared against the 2010 ACS, it said the tract grew very well, but if you compared against the 2010 census, it was only 5 people. What they had told me is that you actually should NOT be comparing the decennial census to the American Community Survey. You should only compare ACS to ACS. They said they do not recalibrate their results to what the census says. I did anyway since it's the only data and I didn't want to use 2010 ACS, but they actually said you should not be doing it. So all of the publicans that are saying X city gained/lost Y people since 2010 - the Census actually does not agree with them even comparing, but they're pretty quiet about it.

Anyway, interesting nonetheless and I can't wait for the data to come out 3 weeks from now.
This is awesome, great work!