View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
well, before this gets out of hand, let me post some numbers, again, these are directly from the census tables, and reflect JULY 1, 2000 through JULY 1 2006 growth.

Atlanta MSA 856,266 Atlanta CSA 894,341
Houston MSA 797,790 Houston CSA 799,262
Chicago MSA 384,966 Chicago CSA 390,434

I think the discrepancies you are citing are going back to the April 1 2000 census base as a reference. I'm using July 1 through July 1 to get an even-year number comparison, not six years plus three months.
Baby boom adds to area's growth
(http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/h...SUS_S1.article)

April 6, 2007

By ANDREA HEIN STAFF WRITER

JOLIET -- News that the population of the Chicago metropolitan area, including Joliet, has increased since 2000 probably won't shock most residents.

But people may be interested to learn that recent figures from the U.S. Census Bureau show that the number of births within the 14 counties stretching from Wisconsin through Indiana added more to the population than people moving into the area alone.

Understanding just how much Joliet, Will County and the Chicago region are expanding and how they rank compared to population changes nationwide depends on the population statistics and what is included or excluded from that data.

This week the U.S. Census Bureau released its list of population growth from 2000 to 2006 within metropolitan areas.

Defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget for statistical purposes, the Chicago Metro Area includes Chicago, Naperville, Joliet, Elgin, Arlington Heights, Evanston, Schaumburg, Skokie, Des Plaines and Gary, Ind.

During the past six years, the Chicago Metro Area grew by more than 407,000 people: It now ranks 10th in the nation for numerical population growth, according to census data.