View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A lot has changed. It all started with Bloomberg too
Ah yes, I remember getting excited by it when I first joined SkyscraperPage in 2005, because at 806 ft it was the tallest NYC skyscraper built after 9/11 (the 861 ft Trump World Tower topped out in 2000). Today ~800 ft in Manhattan would be a yawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
With 2 WTC, it stinks that it has not had any luck, when so many other developments have. Even 1 Vandy, which is still u/c, is 60% leased.
Midtown seems more popular these days, and the fact that 1 Vandy has only 58 floors also helps a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There were in fact supertall skyscrapers proposed in New York in that period, they just didn't get built. And no supertalls were built in Chicago during that same period.
The period I was referring to was after the original WTC and before 9/11/2001. Aon was finished around the same time as 2 WTC so let's exclude that, but Chicago still completed three other supertalls in that period:

Sears (1451 ft) in 1974
Franklin Center (1007 ft) in 1989
Two Prudential Plaza (995 ft) in 1990

Franklin Center and Two Prudential look kind of short standing right next to Sears and Aon, so we sometimes forget that they are actually supertalls.