View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Because both our current immigration laws and the laws the British crown placed on the Colonist at the time were immoral and deserve to be over thrown or ignored and subverted in any way possible.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Do you have any clue how hard it is to become a US Citizen these days? Its not like the 1920's when we let a flood of people in through Ellis Island, there are huge restrictions on becoming a US Citizen, even for well educated, hard working folks. When you're living in squalor in a 3rd world country and a land of opportunity is just a short jaunt a way, do you really expect people to stay in the squalor because of some idiotic law?
Yes. Maybe they should improve their own countries. We have enough trouble without them bringing their problems here.

Quote:
I've had many friends desperately try to become US citizens and they've had to return to their home countries because getting citizenship here is so difficult.
Have you looked at the unemployment numbers. We don't need any more bodies in this country.

Quote:
I really don't care either way. Statements like this are generally just thinly veiled racism or xenophobia.
OK, that's just BS. I can now see why you feel the way you do.

Quote:
Whats it matter if someone moves here and doesn't become Americanized? Isn't what makes America great how different we all are?
No, you obviously don't understand the own melting pot reference you alluded to. People coming here should ENRICH the US, not be their own little clicks and pockets. This country isn't Canada, Mexico, India, the UK, Korea, or whatever hole you are fleeing, its the USA, so don't try to make it what you left.

Quote:
part of being an American is welcoming in as many immigrants as possible.
Only when we needed BODIES. We haven't needed unskilled labor in many decades.

Quote:
Our National immigration policy ought to be: "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
See above.

Quote:
If you can't get on board with that, I'm not sure how you can call yourself an American.
I'm sure how I can call myself American. Not sure about how you sleep at night though.

Quote:
Lets streamline the immigration process and let in more of everyone, not just Hispanics. More Indians, South Americans, Europeans, whoever. If they're willing to travel hundreds or thousands of miles, often times leave their families, just for a thin shot at improving their lives, they sound like the sort of people I want in my country.
Lets set up an exchange. For each hardworking, honest, law abiding, educated citizen we let in, the country of origination has to take a liberal in return.

Quote:
We've got plenty of room and plenty of opportunity for everyone, we ought to re open the golden door.
On this we greatly disagree.