View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 9:25 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Also what is the TCH like in NFLD? There must be some 4 lane sections there, especialy in the Avalon.
Newfoundland has somewhere around 60 miles of four-lane divided freeway between Logy Bay, St. John's and Whitbourne (childhood home of Shannon Tweed) on the Avalon Peninsula. There are some shorter sections at Corner Brook and Grand Falls. Also there is the four-lane divided freeway around 20 miles (Pitts Memorial) between downtown and Conception Bay South, which will be extended this year. I don't know of any real twinning plans on the current agenda, but I think the long range plan is for twinning of the TCH to Clarenville, approximately a further 60 miles. Current highway projects are concentrating on completion of the Trans-Labrador highway, and other improvements to secondary highways.

This picture shows where the (Pitts Memorial) downtown freeway, built in the 1970's, enters the city of St. John's. This portion along the hill is divided by a median:

^my pic 2007

Also see post here for more freeway pics by Canasian:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...7&postcount=89

I use the term "freeway" because they are all 4 lane divided and controlled access, which is what distinguishes it from the term "highway".

Last edited by Architype; Jun 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM.