View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:43 AM

Ever since a writer in Portland Monthly suggested Broadway be re-named for Chavez, I've been thinking that a downtown street makes fine sense. No one is seriously going to consider changing Broadway, of course, but 4th seems like a good compromise. Why not? It runs right by City Hall and right through the heart of the city. Rather than having the new street be largely out of sight and out of mind of the city's business and political class, this will put his name and legacy front and center.

The mayor's infantile behavior is just bizarre. He's looking more and more loopy and paranoid, and I'm so glad he's not running for office again. His and the name-change committee's refusal to bend at all on Interstate is really unfortunate (not to mention the broad-brush charges of racism), as is the council paying no heed whatsoever to their own rules.

Echo Park, we may not be remotely as diverse as L.A., but the Latino community is still a significant and increasing presence in the city and the idea originated out of that community. It doesn't seem odd to me at all.