View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:51 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
yeah, you're right about the metro - it's certainly not losing passengers. the few people i know who admit to taking the metro insist that it's more crowded than ever, but it didn't seem any worse than in the 90's; in fact, maybe even a bit better.
As far as I can tell, rush hour is not as intense as it was in late 80s, but during the middle of the day the human traffic does not decrease as much as it used to, so on average - maybe about the same, but more evenly spread during the day.

Quote:
and i certainly hope that the pedestrian environment improves (haha: it's so bad currently that it can only get better, right?), i just don't see much reason for it to get better. in fact, there was an article recently in the exile (go ahead and roll your eyes; i don't read it regularly) in which, apparently, some minister of road safety ran a red light - going the wrong way! - on ulitsa solyanka a couple weeks back and of course hit some woman who was crossing legally. supposedly, at a press conference the next day, the minister's press secretary pooh-poohed the whole incident and blamed the pedestrian (who was seriously injured) for the accident. with attitudes like that, i'm not optimistic.
I do not know if this story is true but can easily beleive it. Still, I hope there will be gradual improvement. Moscow had very few cars in Soviet times, then was rapidly saturated with cars but infrastructure lagged behind. Of course it would help if people respected each other more, it does not cost any money...

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Feb 22, 2008 at 5:16 AM.