View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcity1 View Post
Actually, I thought this was the least inspiring building. It is not unique to san francisco. It is in Asia and in Jersey City. To think that SF's main symbol is going to be a clone of buildings from other cities does not excite me.

But in the end, money talks, glory walks. Sad end.
I agree. I don't dislike the Pelli design, but it is hard to understand how it is the best or most unique design. I'm disappointed it seems more about who is willing to pay more; I did not realize that was a factor. I understand an extra $200 million is hard to turn down, but don't call it something it's not (a design competition).

I'm amazed they recommended Rodgers ahead of SOM. If the Rodgers tower is selected, I fear it will unleash a new wave of NIMBY-ism on SF for years to come.

Does anyone know if the advisory panel took public opinion into account, or is that done by the full board? Would it help to send in more comments? If Pelli is selected, I agree that they should ask for a taller tower with housing. This would let them keep their $350 million and have a mixed use tower, while (hopefully) not discouraging Hines.