View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:51 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
because it was state park, it was ostensibly an "alcohol-free" beach, so i didn't bring any beer . then i saw one of our beach neighbors pop open a can of miller lite and i went over to ask him about the alcohol policy. i was like "i thought alcohol wasn't allowed on this beach because it's state park, is that not true?" and his response was "hell, i've been coming to this beach for years, not once have i ever seen a ranger out here". and then he gave me a beer ! and this wasn't at some weird off-season time, it was early august, the very peak of summer beach season in michigan.

as, i said earlier, lake michigan has 1,600 miles of shorline. there's no way in hell to patrol all of it.
This is one of the major reasons we (native Michigander here) had a 10 cent container deposit starting way back in 1976. So many beaches (and roadsides) were littered with bottles and broken glass. Oregon became the first to match the 10 cent deposit just a couple of years ago. Still, even given that it hasn't really kept up with inflation, I still am surprised sometimes by the amount of litter near waterways in this state given how progressive the population is supposed to be.