View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
In my tiny Tokyo “yard”, we transplanted in a Himalayan elm, an olive tree, and of course a Japanese maple. I’ve loved Japanese maples since I was a little kid, along with weeping willows. I love the movement both have.

Basically, I’m in love with Olmsted and all his amazing works and innovations.

I don't have a Japanese maple, and I love them too, but I have a Gingko that must have been planted 40 or 50 years ago and provides a canopy on our back deck. The Gingko has no known disease that affects it.

My two beauties though that also give super shade are Catalpas that othees have raved about and justifiably so. Mine were planted maybe thirty to forty years ago, I guess, on the lakefront across the street. I have been painting watercolors of the lake and mountains and the old Chambly fort sitting beneath them for shade. I've also painted them in a number of pictures.

Unfortunately, one of them is late blooming, and I believe it is due to the harsh winters. It is planted in the corner of the concrete parapet that leads to the boat landing, so the roots are exposed to the frozen concrete for a long period.