View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:46 PM

I don't like the idea of building (and paying for) all the infrastructure that will be required to charge tolls in the old fashioned way, but I do like the idea of people paying more directly for the road they use. People with the mindset that they pay for the roads with gas tax money are 1) incomplete (gas taxes provide only a portion of road funding) and 2) disengaged from the process.
Paying for roads as you use them seems more honest to me. It makes the comparison to other modes - biking, walking, transit, ride-sharing - more fair.

It could be argued that a VMT method of paying for roads would turn all roads into roll roads. With GPS tracking enabled, you could even charge different rates for different roads (such as by making bridges more expensive to use than regular streets). As Electric autonomous taxis owned by corporations become the norm, I predict this is the direction things will go. Until more than 50% are autonomous taxis, though, the public will probably continue to demand roads be free of "invasive" tracking and tolls.