View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Haha... let's number crunch shall we?[...]
You're comparing people born abroad (immigrants) on the one hand (Paris) and people with an ethnicity (i.e. also the children and grandchildren of immigrants) on the other hand (London).

See, that's typically you, comparing apples and pears to "prove" that London is number one.

The real figures I gave in my previous post: at the 2001 UK census there were 135,000 residents of Greater London who were born in Eastern and Southeastern Asia, whereas in Greater Paris in 2005 there were 208,000 residents who were born in Eastern and Southeastern Asia (not even including 20,500 colonial citizens from French Indochina who were granted French citizenship at birth in Indochina and are therefore not counted as immigrants by French statistics).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
You included the 77,000 so called "other Asians" to bring the grand total to 208,000 but there is no indication that these other Asians hail from E/SE Asia. Indeed I suspect most are fromt he Middle East.
No, these 77,000 people are essentially from Eastern and Southeastern Asia (essentially Korea, Japan and the Philippines). If "most are from the Middle East" as you claim, then I'd be curious to know from which country. Turks and Lebanese are already counted appart as you've already found out, so they can't come from there. In France there are almost no immigrants from Iraq, Jordan and Israel, and very few from Syria, Iran and the Arabic peninsula. But perhaps there's a mysterious hidden country in the Middle East that you're aware of.

So let's face it, these 77,000 "other Asians" are mostly Eastern and Southeastern Asians. And in total there are more people from Eastern and Southeastern Asia in Paris than in London.