Thread: Downtown Subway
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:40 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Burying I-5 (basically an 8-lane subway for cars) would be orders of magnitude MUCH MUCH more expensive than building a subway for MAX through downtown. So you're advocating something that would not even add capacity to the existing freeway system, but you don't see the logic in building infrastructure that triples or quadruples the capacity of our existing mass transit system? At a much smaller price tag no less?
I never said I don't see the logic in burying MAX downtown. I'm saying it isn't going to happen anytime soon - and by that, I mean not for decades. No one in authority is seriously discussing it. No one at Trimet or Metro is planning it. No one is even discussing a budget for funding it. Other than a few guys on an online forum, it isn't being discussed. Why? Because it isn't even in the realm of possibility at this point. Too many other transit priorities are far more important at this point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
You do realize that we could build a more functional, comprehensive and accessible mass transit sytem (including subways, plural) that would make I-5 obselete
C'mon now. That's just silly. I'm a car-free mass transit guy, 100%, and even I don't believe that I-5 is going to magically become obsolete.

In the end, it's irrelevant. I-5 isn't going to be buried and neither is MAX. Not in the next few decades, anyway.