View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:10 PM
under the influence...

Mesa's Fiesta Lofts project moves forward

Jim Walsh
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 7, 2007 11:04 AM

Fiesta Lofts, the orange and blue six-story condominium project that replaced the soaring Fiesta Towers, won guarded applause from Mesa's Design Review Board.

Once a series of four glass-and-steel high rise buildings, the project shrunk to three five and six story buildings, but developer and architect Thomas Roszak said the latest version is more realistic.

"We felt that the low-rise, five or six stories, were more appropriate to the market we are creating here in Mesa," Roszac said. "I think the architecture has to be special. Architecture can make a market."

Board members, which include several architects, made several suggestions that Roszak plans to incorporate.

"I do have to admit I like the groupings of the colors better," said Tom Bottomley, one of the board's architects, noting changes from the initial architect's renderings. "Disorganized confetti is not my idea of good design."

When asked about his color scheme by board member Vince DiBella, Roszak said, "it's supposed to be the desert, actually, the view at sunset."

Board member Dave Richins admitted he was skeptical about the project but liked the design.

"When you start construction, I'll believe it when I see it. It would be a great addition to the area," Richins said.

But Roszak said he could start construction at Grove Avenue and Westwood, east of Fiesta Mall, in early 2008 if all city approvals go as planned. He said the project goes before the Planning and Zoning Board on June 21, to the Design Board for formal approval on July 5, and to the City Council on July 9.

The approvals are required in part because the new plan is so different than Fiesta Towers. It features 450 units, instead of 540 to 850. The original plan called for four buildings that would range from 10 to 19 stories.

Roszak also is considering lofts where artists, architects, artists and other professionals could live and work. He said he might reduce the retail area from 45,000 square feet to 20,000 to create room for the unique lofts.

"I think it will have a very interesting loft feel. We think it's a product that doesn't exist," he said.

One big advantage: the latest plan would be built all at once rather than in phases. Cathy Ji, of Mesa's economic development office, said there was no guarantee that all four towers would have been built in the initial project.

"I'm even more optimistic," Roszak said after the meeting. "Everyone will follow us. That's why we have to do a very good job."

Condominiums would range from $240,000 for a 600-square-foot studio to $800,000 for a penthouse, he said.

Ji said virtually every shopping center in the area, with the exception of ramshackle Fiesta Village, plans major face lifts in the near future.