View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I can think of several, and if this thread has any traction (pun intended), I will relate them individually.

Most of my adventures are long since past, related to driving back and forth from Charlottetown to Halifax during medical school, or between Moncton and Antigonish to see the in-laws when my children were younger. Nowadays, I don't do any intercity driving during storms at all.

There was once I was driving back to Halifax from PEI when i was a 4th year medical student. It was just after Christmas, and late at night, just after a storm. I had to be at the hospital early the next morning for a shift on the floor.

I was driving my first car (a Dodge Omni), a little front wheel drive shitbox that I got second hand. This was before the Cobequid Pass was built, and I was taking the route over Folly Mountain. It was no longer actively snowing, but there was a thick coating of packed snow on the road, and this was made even more slippy by a thin coating of ice on top from freezing rain. I was going down the other side of the mountain, when an 18 wheeler I was following applied his brakes. I was well behind him, but proactively hit my brakes too, only to find I had NO TRACTION WHATSOEVER.

The Omni slowly began to slide towards the shoulder, and rotated counterclockwise so that I was heading down the hill broadside. After a few seconds, the rear end of the car started to head into the ditch, but because the ditch was filled with snow, the car didn't sink very much. The car then hit an embankment where a driveway entered the highway, and, since the front end of the car was still on the elevated shoulder, (and it was a front wheel drive vehicle), the car was able to gain some traction and pull itself out of the ditch!

I was able to make it safely the rest of the way down the mountain, and at the bottom, the roads were clear, and I was able to make it safely back to Halifax without incident. There was also no damage to the car to boot!