View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yeah, I assume they'd use diesel powered commuter trains. I'm also assuming that the $1.8 billion is based on some per mile guestimate.

There's always interest from some corners in this type of option and I'd agree it would be nice. Presumably they will try to better define what would be needed along with a better guestimate of costs.
Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/cdot-...eeds-to-happen

"The Colorado Department of Transportation announced Tuesday that it’s soliciting bids to study passenger rail service from Fort Collins to Trinidad.

CDOT and the Southwest Chief/Front Range Passenger Rail Commission, which the legislature created in 2017, say the study will explore different options to relieve congestion along the quickly growing Interstate 25 corridor.

“To meet the growing needs of our state, Colorado needs a robust, energy efficient, sustainable transportation system that incorporates different modes of travel and provides more choices for the movement of people and goods,” Shoshana Lew, CDOT’s executive director, said in a statement.

Any new system would be a massive undertaking, with coordination needed from local municipalities, freight railroads, existing transit services like Amtrak and RTD — and, of course, a lot of money. The study will explore possible routes, capital and operating costs, and other factors."