View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:14 AM
Fourth and Main

The domed building is the work of Cesar Pelli. It's the biggest Moravian-Revival building in the world. Moravian-Revival is a local architectural style, dating back around a century ago, based on the colonial and early-American architecture from the Moravians. The dome is a rosebud from the gardens, made from Moravian arches. You'll also see the Moravian Star and details taken from neighboring buildings. It was the tallest building constructed in the United States in 1995.

Now that I'm more awake. About the bus station...

There is talk of moving half or everything there to the restored Union Station. I'm not sure if they will or not. Developers are pushing the city to move it and sell the site, which is now worth millions. The structure is two-storeys, was completed in 1996, and won an award for the design. The top floor is a traffic command center and the city DOT office I said was moving to the ground floor of Union Station. The building is said to be over-crowded at certain times of the day and there is a need for a second bus station. At present, this bus station is a central transfer hub, where you can access almost any place in the nation, as well as many places in the city. It has WSTA local service, PART regional service, Greyhound national service, I've seen half-sized CATS buses for people living in Winston-Salem and working in Charlotte (not sure if they still do this?), and (something you may find interesting) an Amtrack bus to connect the bus station to rail service. The ground floor has etched glass artwork telling the history of mass transit in Winston-Salem, which is interesting. The city had one of the original Sprague System electric streetcar systems, before Edison bought his company in 1890. Safe Bus was the largest African-American owned transportation company, giving the city two bus systems for many decades, and the city still has one of the original buses with the original livery. Camel City Lines was one of the big interstate bus companies that was bought to form Greyhound, giving the city unusually large Greyhound Stations in its past. You'll find artwork from the famed Mr. Imagination along the western side of the bus station.

I have used WSTA and the Clark Cambell Center, but only as a visitor.