View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I don’t think actual affordable housing advocates are doubting the logic of S&D, but are asking legitimate questions as to whether S&D alone is an adequate solution for everyone’s needs.

That said, there are certainly NIMBYs bringing the excuse of “affordability” to oppose projects. Although there are also tons of NIMBYs opposing truly affordable housing projects across the country. They may say the concern is about children, but it’s pretty clear their actual worries are about property values.
I have seen certain local personalities online (e.g., Bousquet, just a few days ago on Twitter) openly question whether supply and demand as an economic concept is even valid factor. I think there are a lot of people who have a very emotional reaction to new development: it looks expensive, therefore it must be driving up prices. On some level, I think there are people who think runaway housing prices would calm down if development slowed as well, when of course all that would really happen is yet more intense competition for the resale market.

On the other hand, the super-YIMBY take, that more building alone will take care of all housing needs, is obviously also flawed.