View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I get that, that is why I was asking if anyone had any good peer reviewed stuff from the other side of the table that I could peruse. Distributive justice is certainly a "woke" issue, and I'd love to see how/if someone could argue against its necessity for the future of our species. Stuff like the inclusion of indigenous and non-western perspective in the development of sustainability strategies as well. How can we ignore such ancient theoretical frameworks, especially when considering the severity of the challenges we are facing. There's a lot of things "woke" people just can't find legitimate arguments against other than conservative arguments of maintaining the status quo or that somehow capitalism will adapt to not be as fucked (the question there is, if capitalism did alter to the point that it doesn't necessitate the annihilation of the planet through infinite growth purely for the sake of growth/accumulation/hoarding, would it still be capitalism?). Either way, the problem is that the status quo isn't working out so hot for our civilization or our planet, so something's gotta give.
You've taken things on a bit of a tangent here. While the question of whether capitalism is compatible with ecological responsibility and sustainability is a good one (in fact a critical one for the future), the preoccupations of the woke are more focused on the interactions between humans themselves and the societal structures that have been erected across the western world.

This can include capitalism of course but is not limited to it.

The environment of course is related too as it is essential to human well-being but again, this isn't a main woke issue. Not saying that woke types don't care about the environment - they do. But that's not what is getting all of the attention at the moment, and for some reason woke opinion leaders don't seem interested in shifting the focus much.

As for capitalism more specifically (since you brought it up), while I am more of a social democrat myself I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as you allege that it's a catastrophic failure in terms of providing a pretty high level of material well-being and comfort to a pretty significant share of the world's population.

Though I do prefer the more human, tamed capitalism practised in a number of western countries (including Canada, sometimes) to the more raw, winner-take-all, sucks-to-be-you capitalism of the US.