View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I do disagree that there are no congestion problems on 580 between Livermore and Pleasanton. When I travel that stretch, usually early on a Saturday evening, it's darned heavy traffic though not heavy enough to go bumper to bumper. I can only imagine during rush hour on weekdays though.
Oh, I didn't mean that it was free-flowing. However, there are no bottlenecks between Livermore and Pleasanton. Unless you're taking people off from going over Altamont Pass (which this doesn't do) or from going between Dublin and Oakland (which this does not do, since anyone can currently jump off the freeway in Dublin and park there) or going north/south on 680 (which this does not do), you're not really doing much to quell congestion.

If there is a valid destination station being built, the argument can be that you're linking places that need to be linked. If you're simply building another park and ride station, I think you need either A. an argument that it will decrease congestion at a current bottleneck or B. an argument that current stations/parking structures are at or near capacity, or will be soon. Neither is even remotely the case, and I find it hard to believe that there is any amount of ridership looking to go between a freeway median station in Pleasanton or Dublin and a freeway median station in Livermore OR that there is a large amount of potential ridership from people in Livermore who WON'T use BART now with the drive to the parking structure in Pleasanton/Dublin, but WILL with a parking structure in Livermore.