View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I believe that Ottawa city council has approved the development of a new stadium and will begin construction this year.

I don't think Ottawa's franchise will be a factor as to when or if Moncton gets its own franchise. It comes down to finding an owner and building a suitable stadium (25,000+ seats).
Yes city council has approved the development and Ottawa does have a conditional franchise but there are alot of councilors that still would rather see whats left of the existing stadium be imploded and not rebuilt and forget about a new franchise because it has failed previously.It's an election year there and if a new mayor is elected who didn't vote yes for the development then it could change things. There's still alot of hoops to jump through on that one and I hope it proceeds and Ottawa gets a new team as planned but if in the event the whole thing doesn't come to be I think the CFL will want to jump on a new plan quickly and a new franchise in Moncton for example will be a great alternative to an Ottawa failure. Lets hope it doesn't go that way though.