View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Nothing is sacred in Vancouver.

I really like the BC Legislative Buildings in Victoria but I think they ruined them but lighting them up at dark.............looks like a department store.
Not sure what department store you've been too that looks like that?

It's truly spectacular when they come on at night, adds a whole new vibe. Sure they could do flood lighting as is common around the world, but the more unusual lighting outline is part of the history of this building from the start, over 120 years ago.

From Historical Places.ca:

"Furthermore, it is interesting to note that the silhouette of the Legislature was illuminated with electric lighting in 1897 for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, one year before the building was completed, and has continued to be illuminated at night ever since."

Back in the early years it seems it was illuminated for special occasions, but every single night since at least the 1960's from what I can tell.

Here it is in September 1911 illuminated for the visit of Governor General the Duke of Connaught and the Duchess of Connaught (BC Archives)

A year earlier the lights were on to welcome Sir Wilfred Laurier in August 1910 (BC Archives):

Image from 1898, nearing completion, with the original 'Birdcages' legislative buildings in the foreground (BC Archives):

More recent shots, this one from C M on Flickr:

DSC_1336 by C M, on Flickr

A couple of different angles by Rob Raymond, on Flickr