View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
One built form that's on its way out here as most of these places are on their last generation: car-free outports. These are mostly located on the south coast between Burgeo and Harbour Breton, both of which are connected to the rest of the province by road.

This one (via FB) is Grey River, population 95.

This is one of the things about NL I find, for lack of a better word, extremely northern. There is something in the built form of its rural areas that seems almost reminiscent of remote Scandinavian communities, especially Norway: the physical orientation to the ocean, the housing constrained by the extremes of the landscape, the fairly dense but single-family built form, the use of colour, the irregular street layouts. There is something in the sub-Arctic world that NL seems to just be edging into being a part of. I remember a few years ago, walking around Reykjavik, and thinking about how strongly it reminded me of being in Nain, an Inuit town that is also the northernmost community in Labrador. Not two places one would think have a lot in common, but there was some kind of kinship in their physicality which I can only image stems from something to do with the exigencies of existence at that latitude, on that kind of landscape.