View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I'm a proponent of the 8th and Market location. However I'd be very bummed if they knocked down the Jefferson building. It's got a great facade on 9th street and Chestnut. I'd hope that if an arena were to go there, it would keep the facade/general design elements of the building.

So desperate for something at 8th and Market, sure. The only thing that would really satisfy me at the Disneyhole i multiple 600+ towers with at least some commercial component (residential, in Philly at least, rarely eclipses 500 ft). Obviously, that won't ever happen in my lifetime. The city is deficient when it comes to attracting/retaining large employers and anything that does happen in that regard, SY and the NY are more logical destinations. So fuck it.

My one concern is what impact an arena will have in the area. How many landlords will let their buildings rot to demolish and build a garage? How many existing parking lots that we all hope to see turn into something meaningful, will continue to operate as parking lots?

I suppose an arena can help energize an area but at the same time, it is likely to proliferate parking at the expense of anything better.

And p.s., any project that involves the demo of any existing buildings (esp the one pictured here) to make way for an arena or parking is a big fat NO in my book. Disneyhole is big enough and if it's not enough, then find another site.