View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Great work, OldDartmouthMark!

Seems a shame to have most of that old ROW used simply for parking. Imagine a transit rail terminal just a bit south of your red circle on the last image to allow people from the suburbs to commute downtown and back again. Given the paranoia about security one doubts even an elevated line would be permitted to run over those lots now. What a shame.

The City archives has what seems to be tons of photographs that are not yet scanned. There was a reference to a treasure trove of pictures in the Planning and Development office files related to the development of Scotia Square. Many of them seemed to be of the area before demolition. The index is available digitally but not the pictures themselves.

I did find this one of the waterfront pre-Historic Properties with our old friend the Pentagon Building making another appearance. Interesting to see the area immediately adjacent with a number of large trees, could it have been a park of some sort? Seems odd.

Thanks Keith!

I found it interesting looking at the map below, at how close they were at traversing the entire waterfront with railroad tracks, once the south end rail cut was in. That possibility could have provided a lot of potential for a commuter rail system.

I'm thinking that an actual visit to the City archives would be quite interesting. I'm not sure how much access one is allowed to their photographic collection or how much one would be able to obtain copies of the material, but it might be a worthwhile thing to check out.

Interesting shot you posted. From all this photographic evidence it might be possible for a reasonable replica of the Pentagon building to be constructed, once Cogswell is reclaimed.

The treed area looks like it might have been a small park, with the size of the trees indicating that it would have been that way for a long time.

I'm sure there are photos out there that show this area, the biggest problem I have sometimes is pinpointing the exact location of some of the pics when there aren't any recognizable items in view.