View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

Doesn't quite give it the complete chaos that it was last night but heres an article about the "debate" last night:

Council argues over library

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Nov 19 - 5:32 AM
A new library for downtown Halifax continues to generate lively debate at city hall.

The price tag for the project has climbed to $45 million from $26 million over the 12 years it’s been discussed and many councillors were keen Tuesday night to put the brakes on what they say is a library too rich for the municipality.

"Shake your head! We cannot afford it!" Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre) urged her colleagues, referring to the building proposed for the corner of Queen Street and Spring Garden Road.

She suggested a branch library, instead of a flagship site, should be constructed to serve that area of the municipality.

"Why couldn’t the Alderney Gate library (in Dartmouth) be the central library?"

Coun. Steve Streatch (Eastern Shore-Musquodoboit Valley) said that while he’s coming around to the idea of a new central library, he doesn’t know if the timing is right.

"In today’s uncertain financial climate, I’m just not sure that going down the route with so many questions is prudent."

Councillors were asked Tuesday night to approve the development of different library funding scenarios. As well, staffers were looking for $100,000 to engage outside help for tasks like appraising and maximizing the use of the current library site on the corner of Spring Garden Road and Brunswick Street, and exploring various models for a new library.

But some of the ideas that staffers thought warranted a further look — like implementing a new library tax or selling the old library — rubbed a few councillors the wrong way.

Coun. Andrew Younger (East Dartmouth-The Lakes) said he’d prefer to see the city hold on to the building, built in 1951 as a memorial to the casualties of the world wars, and look into leasing it.

"I wonder if anyone can give me another example, anywhere in North America, where a war memorial was sold?"

Judith Hare, the chief administrative officer of the regional library board, said she has discussed the idea with the federal Veterans Affairs Department.

"The library is a living memorial . . . and that can be recognized in a new building as well," she said.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) said the city has spent millions maintaining the present library site.

"We’re basically ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater if we look at selling (it)."

But Phil Townsend, the city’s manager of capital projects, said the building would likely need millions of dollars in upgrades.

"Although it’s only one year older than me . . . I’m in much better shape than that building is right now," the 56-year-old said.

Some councillors said their colleagues were putting up roadblocks too early in the process.

"We’re supposed to look at our options," Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said when a few voiced concerns over staff’s preliminary idea to impose a library tax.

Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcells Cove-Armdale) urged her colleagues to keep an open mind and do something to benefit the downtown.

The funding scenarios report, which councillors approved by a 17-4 margin, must be completed in time for council’s spring debates on its 2009-10 budget