Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I was just looking at a tin of beer from Dominion City Brewing here in Ottawa and, indeed, the word "BIÈRE" is the only French on the package. I don't know, however, whether they sell in Quebec.
They do not, as they don't currently have any ability to distribute in Quebec without incurring significant costs. Curious about which beer you have too, as I just went through my beer pictures (yes I take pictures of all the different beers I've had...) and the only bilingual examples I could find are Town and Country, and Sunsplit. The rest were fully in English, but were also all small batch one-offs though. I'm not sure if they've distributed through the LCBO, but even if not they may label their larger releases that way so it's easier if they decide to in the future.

As an aside I think they are one of the best breweries in Ontario right now! I always make a point of stopping by when I'm in Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And in fact, that single word "BIÈRE" might be enough (at least for interprovincial trade purpose) to meet the bilingual labelling requirement. (Not sure about VIA's own rules though.)

From what I gathered it sounds like it's more of an internal VIA thing than any actual formal interpovincial trade regulations. Unless the in-province production requirements for Quebec distribution come into play somehow.

Not getting a straight answer from VIA on this does sound par for the course though, to get back to the main topic.