View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Maldive, thanks for your answer..

I'm aware of the dynamic of skyline POV's and I'm also familiar with Toronto, from this and other perspectives, since I was born and raised there.

My specific inquiry with regards to 335 King West is that, even taking everything you've mentioned into consideration, it still seems too short. For example, 335 King would be closer to the lake than Festival Tower, which is on the north side of King, yet it appears to be the exact same height even though it would be 20 metres taller.

The reason I bring up the location of the RBC Centre is because I've been looking at this recent photo of the skyline:

Based on the position of buildings around the Skydome and the visibility of BA Centre, it looks as though this photo was taken from further east than the photo you used for your template. You can see that RBC is already half eclipsed by Simcoe Place. I'm assuming that if this same photo were taken from a slightly more westerly position (facing Skydome directly), that RBC would be even more hidden by Simcoe Place.

I know it's nitpicking, but you should take the fact that I'm staring at your renderings so much as a compliment.
Sorry ... didn't know you were from Toronto. Ignore all the POV crap comments. Perhaps this will be more useful

The pic you posted is useful. You'll note that RBC lines up perfectly a bit behind Simcoe Place, as it does in my render. This indeed was the starting/middle point of the render.

The key here is future "render" versus future "photo".

Working with a pano this wide that is not distorted, fish-eyed or otherwise weird as hell requires a certain conceit.. that is to say... it's fact meets future but not one confined to a single shot from a camera lens.

Since no-one could even see this vista in one glance... just as no camera pano could approximate this without "stitching"...let's approximate the "impact" if we were sitting in the lake, sipping martinis, occasionally turning our heads to west (and perhaps drifting a bit west courtesy of a warm mid-day breeze) and then turning our heads to the east and drifting back east.... I call this "scrolling" ;-)

So the east/west pov assumes some scrolling/drifting... but the north/south POV tries to accurate represent "perceived" scale (big buildings looking shorter than they are because they are well north of us ... and we've had a few martinis).

So it's a stitched pano with a bit of drift. Does that make sense? It's ultimately artistic license of course but a render like this communicates far more (which is my intent) than a distorted camera POV because every "slice" of the render is fairly well scaled and accurate from the general POV.

*In other words, you WILL be able to see any large slice of this pano, from a real POV, south of the waterfront, sometime in the future....