View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:09 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Deerfoot Mall was planned around residential development that didn't really work out in their favor. Instead of miles and miles of residential they got a 12,000 foot runway and an industrial park next door.

The residential development west of Deerfoot trail is pretty marginal, not at all what was planned for in the development of Deerfoot Mall.

That having been said, it is a whole lot better today than it was in the early 90's when the entire east end of the mall between the center court where there was a fountain and the Woolco (now Sportchek) was almost completely vacant with the exception of a Radio Shack, a crappy toystore and a dump called collectors corner that was the worlds largest collection of old beer cans and professional bowling memorabilia.

Unfortunately they are facing looming trouble again, several outlets (including sears) have refused to sign new leases. Some are interested in the new mall to open in Balzac and the Sears outlet is likely to close entirely. Apprently it would be cheaper to throw the crap away than keep that store open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Deerfoot Outlet mall came pretty close to dying I think. I believe it was a 'regular' mall when it opened but it never really took off. It's now been turned into an outlet mall and with Walmart moving in there it seems to be doing pretty well now. I never understood why it failed as a regular mall, it's location was pretty good.