View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 1:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
Shannon Park isn't very accessible to the public, no one can walk to it, bike to it, the bus route isn't very convenient, taking a taxi from anywhere in the city would cost a lot and there are no establishments to support a crowd of people coming and going. The only supportive argument for it is that the land is vacant and its relatively accessible by car. If its going to be a multi purpose stadium and used to host concerts ect... Young people aren't going to want to go out to Shannon Park no mater wart band is playing so right there you have one alternative use for the venue thrown out the door.
Agreed.

I'm not a fan of Shannon Park either. When the stadium chatter was plentiful in Halifax a while ago, Shannon Park seemed like the best compromise compared to Dartmouth Crossing.
Dartmouth Crossing must be opposed. We don't want to encourage more sprawled, debt-creating developments.

Your Dartmouth Commons or Dartmouth Cove ideas may be worth exploring -- but for the time being, I'm still with most of the people on this forum:
The underused industrial lands on the northern portion of the peninsula is the best option for everyone. Suburbanites will be happy because the stadium is easily accessed by highways and bridges. Urbanites will be able to walk and take short routes via public transit.

A big part of me would be thrilled if Mayor Mike Savage were to announce a possible location for a stadium in the downtown -- but our downtown doesn't have Toronto's Gardiner and Union Station.
(I'm glad, btw, that downtown Halifax doesn't have a highway running through it.)

I would be very disappointed if Shannon Park was still seriously being considered. I'm praying for better news.