View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Since we're speaking about flying, let me just say that I believe Phoenix continues to fly so much under the radar even still with all of the growth that has occurred. Even though our MSA is nearly at 5 million, we're still not good enough for an MSL expansion soccer team. Not good enough for more TATL/TPAC international service. Yet other smaller cities continue to receive both. I thought Sky Harbor used an incentives program to entice other carriers to launch new routes to and from Phoenix, but it appears other cities are capturing those routes more quickly.

Is the problem really due to our location and proximity to other cities, lack of F500 companies, or is it and outdated image that people still have of Phoenix - or all of the above? Does the city need to market itself differently?

After all, there are still quite a lot of people out there who still believe it's hot all year round in Phoenix, that we're still primarily just a snowbird haven, that we haven't mitigated our water issues, that we sprawl more than any other metro area, etc. And others seem to gloss over the fact that we continue to have very high numerical population growth, job growth, diversified economy, and despite our lackluster downtown (in comparison to other places) that we have made serious strides both there and in Tempe. When will the masses start to acknowledge all of the positive change in Phoenix? Will this take another generation or two to accomplish?
Pretty much all of the above. I think the problem is that up till about 20 years ago, that's what Phoenix pretty much was. It's hard to change an outsiders' perception for a city to grow as much as Phoenix has in this short of a time-span. Especially if they only see pictures/videos of sprawl in the media. Anyone that's been here in 15+ years will still think that's what it was. Also, Phoenix needs to just get more recognition in the media. A hit movie or 2 based in Phoenix would help. As would another World Series or Suns championship season. The Superbowl could've helped a few years ago, but the problem is most of the city shots were mostly Glendale and sprawl. I don't remember a lot of urban scenes during the super bowl. A couple skyline shots, but nothing impressive. Sadly, this is what people see and then believe that's all there is.

This is where a big skyline could change that perception. A great looking skyline is the first thing that media (movies, commercials, sports) tend to show. The bigger the skyline, the bigger the perception of the city. This is why we need those tall buildings. I think we are starting to get there, especially with the nearly dozen or so towers in construction or about to go up. Get a skyline worthy of movies, shows, commercials, advertisements and the perception of Phoenix actually being a big city will change.

On a side note, the screen at AZ Center is now advertising the fact that Phoenix is the 5th largest city. We need lots more of that.