View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
Well, there goes my morning.

Honestly, I don't have warm fuzzy feelings about this plan. Considering the advisarial manner which the city deals with development, the current make-up of Planning Commission, and the the very loud voices of neighborhood NIMBYs, affluent homeowners, and lefty activists that attend the meetings and dominate online discussions, I'm concerned that the plan will result in a wholesale down-zoning of much of the city. I'd also look for inclusionary zoning, community benefit agreements, fewer by-right projects, design requirements and intensive neighborhood review processes via the certified neighborhood groups.

I hope that I'm wrong and this could be great, but land-use planning and new zoning in the recent past have not been favorable to the arm-chair urbanist or YIMBY crowds.
The Uptown rezoning is (IMHO) about as good as we could expect from the city. No parking minimums at all, big increase in allowable building heights, etc. Worst thing I can say about it is basically that they didn't immediately apply the same standards to Oakland.

RIV zoning is more of a mixed bag. It generally increased height limits and reduced parking minimums by 50%, but also added a lot of form-based requirements which make development more expensive. Still, a step forward.

These are the only two big zoning-related things done while Peduto has been mayor.

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 3, 2020 at 4:10 PM.