View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 12:44 PM

Yesterday was a busy day in planning, if not development news.

The biggest news is Peduto unveiled planned comprehensive city land use plan. This will ultimately result in a comprehensive rezone of the entire city. More than that, basically throwing the entire existing zoning code in the trash and building a new one, rather than the small patches the city has been doing in areas like the riverfronts and Uptown.

This has apparently been on the DL for the last 18 months, though arguably it's a continuation of the abandoned PlanPGH from the previous mayor (the open space and historic preservation, and mobility aspects of that abortive plan are being included). The plan has its own web address already, although content is a little skimpy at the moment. There's a conditions and trends report which seems like it was finished back in March. I'm guessing the City was sitting on it due to COVID, and finally decided to stop delaying. There's also a pretty cool data visualization tool which shows land use for any neighborhood in the city parcel by parcel.

I have to say though a lot of what is available so far isn't that personally interesting to me. I was briefly part of a discussion on city resiliency, and "process" based stuff bores me to tears. Regardless, the open comment section of this plan will be for around the next year.

There's a map online where you can add you comments on things you would like changed in the city related to comprehensive planning. I suggest people add to this - it assuredly can't hurt things.

I also found this aspect of the City Planning website I hadn't seen before. It has a lot of new documents to me, though they're early in the planning process.

Also in planning news, it was announced yesterday the Almono/Hazelwood Green plan will be modified yet again - this time to integrate the waterfront with the development. I thought this wasn't done before because issues related to the railroad ROW, but I suppose that has been addressed.