View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I've heard the beaches in Chicago are pretty gross, and there is often high levels of e coli in the water. When my sister was living in Chicago, she always told me to avoid the beaches (at least near downtown) because I'd get sick.

A quick Google search says this is correct.
https://news.wttw.com/2019/07/23/stu...o-area-beaches
That is a news article about a study done by an ADVOCACY organization that found half of the 2600 beaches they sampled in 29 states & Puerto Rico to be unsafe! 1300!! Best not go to ANY beach! Seems a little fear mongering.
Note in the article that Chicago Park District questions their testing methodology and that CPD tests every day.

This is not to discount the goals the group advocates. Cleaner water solutions are super important and Chicago is working (too slowly perhaps) on newer, better ways of dealing with runoff. There are days that I certainly wouldn't go swimming in Lake Michigan near the city, but to not go in due to a generalized fear e.coli is limiting yourself from a terrific experience - floating in the water and looking at one of the most gorgeous cities in the world.