View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Obviously trash is a quality of life issues that even for someone of modest means can be annoying. However as Front Street said if people for making 100k+ that is their main issue with the city they are really out of touch. We have a murder rate that is skyrocketing, K&A is in the worst shape I have seen in my life being in that area and the opioid crisis is growing, persistent deep poverty, many failing schools. The city should absolutely 100% institute citywide street sweeping. Also it really comes from a place of privilege to complain about trash in a neighborhood like Fitler Square when that is definitely one of the cleaner neighborhoods of the city and covid has been spreading within the trash collection department and they are dealing with massive backup throughout the city.
Again. The only way schools improve is if you have a built in constituency that has the means, time, energy and money (priviledge) to help pitch in. That's what you've seen time and time again in Philadelphia. The schools that have improved have catchments that have (sometimes just barely) enough wealth and priviledge to reach a tipping point where there are enough people to dig in ang provide extra hands, time, and resources. I'm thinking of places like Meredith (many years ago in QV), Jackson (in South Philly), Nebinger, Adaire in Fishtown. You're even seeing in places like West Germantown now at Lingelbach.

So QOL and improving schools go hand in hand. The more people don't leave for other QOL issues, the more resources are available to make progress on the most dire issues for the city.

This is not an either or issue.

It's astounding to me that people don't see the connection.