View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:54 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
I should've been a bit more specific. I'm referring to the legacy residential areas with SFH's from the 1940s-80s in Davidson (Nashville) County, plus the surrounding counties that became suburban starting in the 1960s-70s. There's a lot of land. And that has to do with the older development methods that required substantially large yards in order to allow septic systems to work in the rocky ground. That technology has vastly improved to the point now where many more residential units can be built in the same space. Also the way the metro area grew from its early settlement allows a lot of developable land in those areas. Surrounding counties were traditionally rural, consisting of a county seat of some significant (not necessarily large) size. Those counties had their own population centers established long before growth began to encroach from Nashville. What that means is suburban areas like Madison, Hermitage, Donelson, Goodlettsville, Glencliff, Crieve Hall, Joelton, Whites Creek, etc. could double, even triple their population as denser development like Inglewood, Berry Hill, Bellevue, etc. has already started to get. Of course, the adjacent counties will continue to boom like they have the past 30 years. Areas like Mt. Juliet, Kingston Springs, Fairview, Robertson, and Rutherford counties will inevitably double/triple their populations. It's a long way of saying, Nashville is not so densely populated right now and it actually has a better infrastructure for the mid-ring (10-20 miles out) areas than inner-ring (0-10) and outer-ring (20+) areas.

We are glad that Austin and Nashville have their own identities. So many sunbelt cities today are indistinguishable from others. When I'm in either of those cities, I definitely know it.
Nice comments, but Kingston Springs may be actually declining in population.

There is no room for subdivision development as most of the land in southern Cheatham County, which is very hilly, is developed in 1 to 5 acre lots and there are no large swaths of land to put a large amount of housing.
The population that moved there in the 70's during the original burst of growth is now seniors and empty nesters. So the school population is also in decline. And there are no apartments for younger people and families to live in so they leave for elsewhere. The restaurant chains will not locate here as they cannot find help.

Admittedly, this is an aberration when compared to the rest of the Nashville suburban area, but I thought I would note that anyway.