View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 2:20 AM
I Like Turtles!

There's history all over that corner

rcarltonposted: Got to be a story here: A Coca Cola ship on 14th street?
GE

Out of curiosity, I checked Google Maps and noticed an interesting building across the corner from the Coca-Cola ship. A fire station with an interesting history. I don't recall seeing it here before. "My bad" if its been covered already.
First, the former fire station as it exists today.
Google Maps
Now the history. According to LAFire.com, "On September 4, 1917 the City Council directed the fire commission to remove the white firemen from Fire Station 30 at 1401 S. Central Ave. and replace them with the black firemen from Hose Co. No 4. Acting Chief Engineer O'Donnell resented the City Council's interference of internal fire department affairs and refused- only he had the authority to assign personnel. In addition, Engine 30 required an engineer and the city's Engineering Department had a policy of refusing to certify blacks. Blacks were only trained to operate chemical hose companies. In the mid-20's there was a sudden upsurge of men of color joining the fire service and a the need for a larger station intensified. The battle to make Engine 30 an all-black station took seven years. Engine 30 was a popular assignment and the white firemen threatened to strike. Racial tensions mounted. Never-the-less on April 16, 1924 the white firemen were removed and the black firemen from Hose 4 were transferred in. As more blacks joined the department Engine 30 became crowded. The department's wrecker (heavy rescue) was assigned to Fire Station 30, simply because there was insufficient riding room for all the firemen on the engines and truck. Another station was needed."
Circa 1914 Image from LAFire.com

I like being able to see inside these utilitarian buildings to see how our protectors lived so long ago.
Rec Room, Circa 1915 Image from LAFire.com

Sleeping Quarters, Circa 1915 Image from LAFire.com

Just Posing, Circa 1915 Image from LAFire.com

Circa 1920-1921 Image from LAFire.com

Curiously, I was unable to find any pictures of the station or crew after the switch to black firefighters, except for this single collage of the crew from around 1925.
Circa 1925 Image from LAFire.com

I've always felt the true history of a city is in its people, as well as its buildings. In the case of Engine Co. 30, I guess it's history its literally black-and-white.