View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Youtube

Just saw one of those TCM "Travetalks" about Los Angeles in the late '30s. It seems that what's on TCM isn't usually available on Youtube, and this was no exception. But I was led to a very interesting and very early color film about Olvera Street. I didn't see a date on the title card--the Youtube notation for it says "1937"--but judging by the cars and the early '30s hats, I'd say it was filmed at least 6 years earlier than that. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Dni...3FC1845A0A8589
I've watched this film in the Prelinger Archives collection; maybe they have the other TravelTalk items. Speaking of which, I'm wondering how James Fitzpatrick ever got that rural Midwestern accent seeing as how he was born in New England.

For our purposes here it's considerably more interesting that his narration obviously refers to "Sonoratown" and, IIRC, specifically mentions adobes that were still in existence at the time. Also, the way he mentions iced tea at La Golondrina suggests that Prohibition hasn't been repealed yet, placing it somewhere between 1930 and 1933.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.