View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 6:30 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I have a feeling the Goldman Sachs site was initially earmarked for the World Product Center before 9/11 pushed that project back, to the Yards whereupon it was ultimately cancelled.

Would have made sense to have the WTC, WFC and WPC close together.
Interesting points, it sure seemed though there were a few skyline redefining project proposals throughout the 1990's (New York Stock Exchange Tower); however, none of them came into fruition. Also, during the 1980's and 1990's construction was rather stagnant. The WFC and CitySpire were to only major projects that went up during that time that were skyline changers. In the 1990's I guess one could also include the then Conde Nast Tower (4 Times Square) or even the Trump Tower in the very early 2000's. Overall though it did seem there was little activity from the 1970's (Citygroup Center, WTC, ect) up until the 2000's when the boom was really set in motion.

I wonder though if Bank of America would have built there own tower had they never lost their space at the WTC. An interesting coincidence, Conde Nast moved from Midtown out of their original to the WTC and Bank of America was once at the WTC and moved to Midtown then building their own tower (One Bryant Park). Also interesting that with all that said how both 4 Times Square and One Bryant Park sit right next to each other. Seems like an ongoing game of tug of war between Midtown and Downtown regard to all the different tenants.