View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Extending the S-Line southward to the Brickyard isn't a bad idea. What bugs me the most about most S-Line extension proposals is that the line isn't connecting to a destination - it feels like the push to extend is driven by a desire just to extend it anywhere. Case in point - everyone is still arguing as to whether it should go north on 11th and end at a gas station, or go east to a high school.
So having an actual established place for the streetcar to go is a huge plus.

Next I started looking at ROW. You might say 'it's a street car, it should go in the street!' But just for fun, I wondered if I could extend the S-Line linear park concept all the way to the Brickyard, so that not only would there be slow rail service between the Brickyard and Sugarhouse, but there would also be a super-awesome bike/pedestrian trail.
It turns out, there is a canal that runs roughly between the two neighborhoods and, even though it is partially built-over, a lot of it isn't. Here is a streetview of the (covered) canal as it appears from Zenith Avenue. Notice how it looks a lot like the S-Line corridor used to look pre S-Line?

All total, it is about 1.6 miles long. This could add about 5 new stops to the S-Line and nearly double its length.
I think its an idea worth considering.
That is a fantastic route. I could definitely get behind that. I share your feelings that Streetcars are better in dedicated right of ways like that and are mostly property redevelopment incentives when they are mixed in traffic.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Millcreek shares our vision. I pulled this from the recently put together Millcreek City Center Master Plan available here https://www.utah.gov/pmn/files/486683.pdf

"Transit investments in the Brickyard area have been studied in the past. The Sugar House Phase 2 Alternatives Analysis, sponsored by the Utah Transit Authority and Salt Lake City, evaluated alternatives extending from the current endof-line station for the Sugar House Streetcar. One alternative studied alignments connecting the streetcar to Brickyard shopping center
along either 1300 East or Highland Drive. These alignments were screened out early on, because they were not as competitive as other potential alignments in meeting the goals outlined by Salt Lake City and the Utah Transit Authority; however, Millcreek City may have other goals for transit that are different from those in the Phase 2 Alternatives Analysis. In light of the proposed new City Center, a light rail analysis could be conducted that
might result in different recommendations today. Future redevelopment of the Brickyard could also increase demand."

There's other mention of streets cars and potential BRT feasibility, so I think a lot is still up in the air. You should email your plan to the transportation folks in Millcreek and SLC.