View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:51 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Because it makes it harder for customers and delivery vehicles to get to the businesses, much as confusing one-way street systems do..
First, the tram systems that I am thinking of (e.g. Geneva) do not stop pedestrians from crossing. Note also I mention a system where 1 lane and the median is taken out. So that crossing for a pedestrian across 6 lanes of car traffic is likely not any easier than 5 lanes of traffic and a tram line. Also there are numerous places along major routes in winnipeg (e.g. pembina and portage) where there is no access across the major route from side streets. In these case the person must drive 3 or 4 blocks to a major intersection before they can turn the other way. Most people know where these places are and drive accordingly such that the enter a major route where they can turn right or left anyway. Once again I have to use existing tram systems as an example: they do not impact pedestrian or delivery vehicles in places they exist. In many of these cities there are significantly more people and businesses long the tram lines than along any major street in Winnipeg.

Quote:
True, but when a bus breaks down you just call in another bus. When a tram breaks down the trams behind it have to stop. And these tram systems are not typically designed for a climate like Winnipeg's, necessitating expensive modifications.
Tram lines are set up so that they can cross tracks to get around other trams (or other vehicles stick on the tracks). They can also be towed, just like a bus that breaks down. Trams do exist in cities that have snow and ice. Over all winnipeg does not have that much snow. We have a limited number of major snow falls per year. And when they do happen they effect all transportation.

Quote:
The sexiness factor is what drives people to want these LRT systems, mostly. They're shiny and sleek and whiz around impressively. It's nice, but the cost is so high that I can't see it being justifiable on the basis of any real practical improvement they make to people's mobility. Buses use existing infrastructure, can go almost anywhere, and can be put wherever the need is at a given time. It's a slam dunk for the bus, in my view.
Any tram system will, as I said before, would still require an extensive bus system, particularly as a feeder system. I will point out that the trams lines that I am think of do take up dedicated lanes and thus can by pass traffic on the road (1 lane and the median). If we had a system where buses had dedicated lanes along there full route this would be very similar to a tram system. Hence, the key here then is a system that removes regular traffic from at two lanes of traffic on major routes (portage, main etc) such that these buses/trams are not obstructed. This is similar to the BRT system in parts of Ottawa, which I also believe is a good option for Winnipeg.