View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
TBH I don't see why a subway along Girard would be necessary. The 15 is surprisingly underutilized as it is and the ROW is more than wide enough (east of Broad) for median light rail.

What I would like to see is a project (e.g. on Girard) demonstrating that full running-way separation is viable on those E-W crosstowns, which incidentally would make the 54, 56, and 60 (Lehigh, Erie, and Allegheny avenues respectively) de facto BRT.

But then we as a country are terrible at incremental improvements to service booming ridership.
In general, the flow of traffic in this city could be much improved by synchronizing the lights. Ever see the traffic lights change in NYC? It's so effective and of course visually stunning seeing all the intersections in front of you turn green one right after the other - depending on traffic, you can easily drive 10 blocks before hitting the next red light. Here, it's a fucking mess. You could be stopped at an intersection and see the light at the next one is green and by the time it's your turn to go, the next intersection turns red. I don't think I've ever gone through more than 3 intersections at a time here in Philly. It's a problem that affects passenger vehicles, buses, and trolleys all the same.

Is synchronizing traffic lights such a big to do? I really don't know how complicated it is but it's just another one of those little things that sometimes make you wonder if the people running this city can do anything right.