View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 8:21 PM

Godzilla posted this picture of Vermont Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard yesterday in post #24577 - I thought it deserved to have the blemishes removed.

USC Digital Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

The property websites give a build date of 1976 for 4759 Hollywood Boulevard, but I think that must refer to the structure at the rear. I found this undated picture of the old Medical Arts Building which gives a build date of 1926 and says that the architect was Raphael A. Nicolais.

www.you-are-here.com

It looks better with the signage removed, although I'm undecided on the current color scheme.

GSV

The USC picture at the top was originally posted by TheGriz in post #1111. The post includes the following:

Looks like you can see Barnsdall Art Park (may have still been known as "Olive Hill" then) in the background; is this the side facing Hollywood blvd? It kind of looks like where the gates/parking lot are now. If that's correct, then the building in the photo isn't there anymore, but the foundations still are.

The building in the photo is still there. The maps I've found simply refer to it as Residence "A".

Google Maps

Just for fun, I thought I'd show how Barnsdall Park had changed over the years. In 1948, it still occupied the whole block. The main entrance appears to have been at the northeast corner, just out of shot on the 1937 USC picture above.

Historic Aerials

The area on the eastern side of the block had already been cleared by 1952, but the aerial image is a bit blurry. By 1954, two large buildings and a parking lot had been constructed there.

Historic Aerials

By 1972, the park had been reduced to its current size. Some of the perimeter buildings have changed since then, but the layout is roughly the same, including the new entrance on the north side.

Historic Aerials