View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 7:45 PM

A couple of theater marquees in recent shots here of '20s L.A. have featured some BIG names (before pictures got small, that is):
Conrad Nagel at the Rialto on Broadway and Pauline Frederick at the Friday Morning Club's Playhouse on Figueroa. Here they
are together in Married Flirts, 1924:

oldhollywood.com

Their houses:

image-archeology.com
Pauline built this house in 1918 on Sunset in Beverly Hills, now numbered 9419. She rented it to
Irving Thalberg in the late '20s, and he married Norma Shearer there in 1928. Whatever house is
now at this address is obscured by shrubbery, so I don't know if it's still the one Pauline built.

image-archeology.com
Conrad's place at 715 N. Palm Drive, BH. It has either been replaced or is now unrecognizable. Either way
it's a shame. I love these Los Angeles variations on American Colonial houses, often found in the Wilshire
District. I posted the one at 111 S. Norton, a Three Stooges location still looking good, a while back.
Here's an almost identical one (same architect?) at 1231 S. Gramercy, lived in by another BIG star,
Colleen Moore, in 1923 (per the LACD):

image-archeology.com

"Near Los Angeles"? It's practically dead center! At least now it is.... Anyway, it too still stands:

Google Street View
The odd roof vents appear to be echoed in a structure (a garage?) to the rear. Now in a less affluent area,
it appears to be less well taken care of than its near-twin on Norton. But at least it's there. (Where's the
plaque?)